29 April 2009

there comes a time...

...in every girl's life that she gets so hair pulling bored that the last 30 minutes before her husband comes home are pain-stakingly awful.
So here's my situation, I work part-time still in my office job, this usually consists of a schedule of something like 10am-2pm. Wonderful, I know. And when I first graduated it was grand, I'd get off at 2pm, do some errands, then get home in time for my early bird husband to get off of his 7am-4pm shift at work in Irvine and come home and we had the entire evening together.
And now he got put on a new project where he commutes to LA everyday (via the Metro and Metrolink trains--also why he has to work in LA, that's where their offices are). Which is totally a blessing in disguise because he's getting more experience and doing really well and his company is thriving.
But here his wife sits. I get home at 2pm (sometimes more like 4pm if I have errands to run) and clean up around the house, watch an episode or two of Jon and Kate plus 8 and by this time it's about 5:30 or 6pm. And this is when I haven't heard from my husband yet to tell me he's on his way home. And this is also about the time that I haven't had interaction with another human being for approx. 4 hours. Which is usually fine, except that this happens everyday--who knew I was such a people person?
I finally hear from him that he's on the 5:40 train...this means he'll be home at 7, this gives me time tables on making dinner and doing anything else I wanted to get done before he comes home and this is probably the best part of my day.
He comes home, we have the rest of the evening together, and those painful hours of him not being home and me being desperate for another person to talk to (I have zero cell service in our apartment) have all vanished...as if it never happened.
Now, I'll be honest, this doesn't happen everyday. Somedays I pick him up at the Anaheim station and we go to Disney all night (well until about 9pm) and somedays I get a surprise and he gets on the 3:30pm train, and somedays we go to the Temple and so he has no choice but to be home by 6pm. And so really...these loathsome days of running errands and sitting at home by myself and having just enough to do that I don't call anyone to bug but then end up with way too much time on my hands...they only happen 2-3 times a week.
And now I know what you're thinking "...get a full-time job!" Well you see, I fell through yet another loop hole with CSULB and have not officially graduated. But after much confusion with transcripts and a trip to Moorpark College I should have that fancy degree by the middle of next month. Until then--as in when I can apply for a full-time or part-time job (substitute teaching anyone?), I am in this routine...and am learning to loathe it, I mean love it.
I do have things to keep me busy but none are as fun as having Robert home with me, and that is just the truth.
I'm sticking to it.

1 comment:

Janica said...

I have to say I can relate. Mike doesn't stay as long but I know how you feel just waiting. And it's the worst in the summer when the sun beats on the window around 4 and all I want is for Mike to get home. It will get better. At least they got the big contract!
p.s. I did substitute teaching. It's not my favorite but it is good money and you are out of there by around 3.