11 September 2009

go away.

So if you see me within the next 5-7 days and I'm covering my mouth and/or you just can't figure out what the heck is all over my lips/chin. They're fever blisters...so cut me some slack.
Apparently fever blisters are often a reaction of sun-poisoning...yeah, turns out me getting sunburned and then coming home and sleeping for 20+ hours, wasn't just me being tired from a day of fun and sun and Dramamine. And I Guess that bright red shiny face that turned into a lizard skin face that turned into a flaky itchy face simply wasn't enough for my body. Now I'm officially a monster that is addicted to Carmex.

Downfalls: It was really hard to eat my tomato-cheese-basil pizza at lunch.
Upfalls: I'll probably be on a strict diet of Yogurtland and Golden Spoon all weekend :)

Weird fact: for the past 3 years in a row, I've gotten cold-sores/fever blisters/whatever you call them around the August/September time of year. I even have one in the pictures of the day we got engaged to prove it.



Done rambling for now.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My memory of 9/11:


I had just returned from early morning seminary. I walked in my front door and my brother, Trevor, shook his head and kept watching the TV. My mom, having heard me walk in the door ran out to me and hugged me and said, "Have you heard? It's just awful..." in that sweet motherly tone she does so well but it was tainted, tainted by fear and concern. It was her tone that assured me that this event was something that would change our lives and history in the United States. We watched together on her bed as my mother sat with a hand over her mouth and a furrowed brow for a good long while. There was nothing else to do or say.

That day I learned two things: 1. The wars that I had only read about in textbooks were still a very real thing; and 2. I could always rely on my mother's instinct in times of trouble. You see, I think everything is an emergency (heck, Robert choked up some water the other day and I nearly fainted) but it's my mother's instinct that has always been right on key. And when I saw her race up to me with that concern in her face (a concern I've seen very few times and good news has never come from it) and voice on the morning of 9/11...my heart sank.

How do you remember 9/11?

1 comment:

Natalie said...

i feel ya. i get cold sores once a year. i got TWO when we went to europe. abreva works pretty good.