04 November 2009

Pip.

Reading "Great Expectations" by Charles Dickens. Robert's been a Dickens fan for a long time (hence his yearly reading of 'A Christmas Carol') but this is my first crack at the classic. And it's ridiculously good.

"I am indebted for a belief I religiously entertained that they had been born on their backs with their hands in their trousers pockets, and had never taken them out in this state of existence." (on the working class)

"That was a memorable day to me, for it made great changes in me. But, it is the same with any life. Imagine one selected day struck out of it, and think how different its course would have been. Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation of the first link of one memorable day."

3 comments:

kentandnellie said...

Dickens IS good. I am reading David Copperfield and it's great, but it's taking me forever to get through. Hopefully, Great Expectations is moving faster for you.

TREVOR Simonsen said...

bleh. I have negative feelings for any book that was required in school. sad really.

rantipoler said...

I adore Dickens. I cried out loud at the end of A Tale of Two Cities.